Sunday, March 29, 2009

Look at that yummy ice cream......riiiiiggght....

There is a cover of a magazine out currently with two girls from the show Gossip Girls, licking the same ice cream cone. Strong sexual undertones are expressed in the image and it's quite tasteless in my opinion.


This really irked me more than ever today, because it was the first time Lilia recognized and commented on a magazine cover. As I was standing there flipping through magazines, Lilia says "Mommy, look at those best friends eating the ice cream!" I reply with my usually triggered response of "Yeah, that's cute!" and continue flipping and skimming articles. It wasn't until I glanced up and saw her studying the picture that I stopped. I watched her stare at the cover for a good 30 seconds, before I flipped it over.

Obviously, a 3 year old doesn't understand what the photographer and magazine was trying to hint at. However, she doesn't even need to be seeing that it's okay for 15 year old girls to pose like that. Ahhhhhh....Where is my bubble when I need it?! She needs to go into a bubble now!

1 comment:

Karin Katherine said...

I agree. It's really incredible what is becoming mainstream and acceptable now.